Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

firefox returns thousands of extra rows from select

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookouri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2000
US
I have an .asp page that sends a simple select statement to an oracle database and builds a table of the data returned. The Web Server is IIS on a win2k3 server. There are no table joins just selecting from one flat table. something really simple like "select lname, fname, mi from employees where status="A" and department='D' and jobtitle in ('A','B'). If I run the page in IE i get the correct 300 or so rows. If I run the page in Firefox it returns hundreds of rows. It appears that firefox is returning all records in the database table as if the where clause was having no effect at all. The table actually has about a million rows so i have never allowed firefox to run long enough to return all of them. Does anyone have any suggestions why the same page would act so different in firefox?

Your Oracle *server* is producing a result with 300 rows first, and the *server* script sends the result to the browser. What you describe sounds "not logic" (mr Spock would agree).
Without any code it is very hard guessing what is going on.

it has nothing to do with the sql script as FF could care less about the server side code - or any other browser.

It must be something in your markup that FF is is rendering correctly and IE is hacking a fix.

^ That's right, in most cases what FF shows is the correct version and IE tries to "guess" at what you were doing and spits out the results.

--------

GOOGLE is a great resource to find answers to questions like "how do i..."

--------

It may not be the "same page". Clear your browser cache or change file names to ensure the browsers really are running the same code. I suspect they are not.

There should be no difference in records returned as this has nothing to do with the browser.

did make sure i had refreshed the page.. even closed firefox and restarted it..

i think vicvirk is right about some of the markup being "bad"... i'll just have to dig around and find it

i tried to make the point that the asp script and sql are sewrver side, and both under IE and FF would produde the same 300 rows.
- Are the rows under FF the same 300 rows multiple times?
- Do you do some paging (witg Google i found issues with that)
- Do you fiddle with the response buffer (issues too)?
- Are you sure you look at the latest version of your script?

Your script must do something more complex than a simple DO WHILE not rs.eof LOOP

A good way to ensuring proper markup is to validate it. If it's a dynamic page (as in this case), just show the HTML-source of the readily rendered page, and copy/paste it here:
to validate.

;-)

[navy]"We had to turn off that service to comply with the CDA Bill."[/navy]
- The Bastard Operator From Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back