Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firefox network links

Status
Not open for further replies.

dexeloper

Programmer
Oct 26, 2004
GB
Does anyone have a working solution for getting local network file links to work in Firefox.
I've tried changing the 'security.fileuri ...' entry.
I've tried the 'locallink' add-on.
Don't want suggestions that haven't been tried.
I realise this could go in the ASP or Javascript forum but this seemed the correct place.
Hey ho.

Have you tried giving an explicit file protocol as in the following example?

Code:
<a href="file://C:/Documents and Settings/Administrator/My Documents/VBScripts/HTML/FirefoxFileLinks/aFolder/TextFile.txt">Text File</a>

I'd tried variants of that before but that was a help PhysicsGuy. Many thanks.
If I open a tab in Firefox and put 'file://c:/abc.txt' the file opens but if I do it as an anchor link nothing happens. Links to other websites work fine.
I've checked my 'about:config' values.
Bit of a choker.
This is the code:
<a href="file://c:/abc.txt" target="_blank">abc</a>

If you paste c:/abc.txt into the address bar of Windows Explorer, does Windows find the file?

<a href="file://c:/abc.txt" target="_blank">abc</a> works ok in my version of Firefox, which is 3.6.13

The only other thing I can think of: do you have a <base> tag in your html? This sets the base address of all links.

I would be willing to take a look at your complete html file if it isn't too extensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back