Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firebox x edge - Authenticate users allow remote access

Status
Not open for further replies.

nortelfan

IS-IT--Management
Sep 9, 2002
US
I have a firebox x edge setup to require local firebox authentication to allow access to the Internet. Everyone has a password that needs access and it all works fine. However, I cannot access any computers remotely using any type remote access software (logmein, etc.) because the machine does not have someone authenticated on it all the time. Same for computer that controls heating and air. Is there a way to allow certain IP addresses or MAC addresses to the Internet without having someone authenticate. Makes remote management extremely difficult.

Hi,

Make the required PC a trusted host. That way it can bypass user authentication.

Regards Colin.

Anyone have an idea how to do this on a firebox edge. I don't think you can set trusted hosts and get around enforcing outbound authentication and still get access remotely to your internal servers on the trusted network.

Hi,

Add the IP addresses of your servers to the Trusted Hosts list (login to your Edge, expand 'Firebox Users', 'Trusted Hosts'). These servers will now not need to authenticate to access the internet. Any remote control software you use on these boxes will now allow you to remotely login and do what ever you need to do. I've got several networks using this setup with no problems.

Rgeards Colin.

We have 7.1.1 software on this box and x50w unlimited. It does not have that option. Could that be the software version? Since they have an end of life 10/09 they want us to upgrade at over 800.00. Now their software will limit you to 1 ip address going out if you do not have live security active on the box you upgrade. I love the product, but watchguard is becoming the worst at handcuffing you to them.

Hi,

7.1.1 is way out of date. The current version is 10.2.9 which will give you the option you require. Yes, they aren't the cheapest products on the market but they are effective and the granular configuration options (especially on the bigger Fireware boxes) is awesome. The ability to strip malware and spam (even from POP3) is worth the cost in my opinion.

Regards Colin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back