Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fingerprint scanner - logon/unlock application

Status
Not open for further replies.

bretb

Technical User
Aug 24, 2006
US
Question: Using a regular USB fingerprint scanner, in a custom application running in Windows XP, can you get a fingerprint scan to unlock my custom application - while not doing anything with the Active Directory?

I want to have a custom application running and after fifteen minutes of no activity, my application will lock up (Windows will continue running without locking), then to unlock my application (not windows), I want the user to be able to scan his/her fingerprint, and if the fingerprint is valid, it unlocks the system, which then resumes normal operation. We are programming in Java Eclipse.

So far I've found only software that will log on or change log on to Windows, but I don't want that. I want the Windows logon to be a common username with no password, while my application is what is password startup/unlock. I'm trying to figure out if this is feasible and if so I want to pursue it in my application.

Does anyone have any experience or ideas on this?

Thanks.

Yes, an interesting read. Thanks.

For my application, anyone in the area will have already had to go by several security cameras and entered the area using a security card. The computers are in the open and there are trusted staff there all day long. So someone coming with a gelatin finger to get in to our system is not an issue.

I would like the fingerprint reader more for speed of authenticating the users, much like them typing in a user name and password. I just need to figure out how to integrate this in to our custom Java App.

Thanks.

- Bret

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back