Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding Vectorized Corporate Logos 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleidia

Technical User
May 4, 2001
FR
Hello,

This is a tip for all professionals who have to do
print work or web design for clients who even won't
bother giving away a nice vectorized version of their
logo.

As long as the company is big enough this tip will
be worthable: go to their web site, find a section
called "Investor Relations" or something similar
and look for downloadable "Annual Reports" as PDF
files. In most of the case, they aren't password protected
and there is a beautiful vectorized logo in it.
Just open the PDF file with Illustrator or Freehand and
erase the useless parts around the logo. Done!

I've found many printable version of logos from well known
big companies this way.

Have a good day!

My Work...
...and More...

Nice site Bananas. Star for you. NATE
spyderix.gif

Hello Bananas.

"Your" site is really great, but I can't help wondering
something: I thought that displaying others' logos
on a website was some kind of copyright infringment.
Do I get it wrong?
I mean, I doubt they took the time to ask every company
the authorization to make their EPS logos downloadable.

Does anyone have any relevant information on this issue?

Thanks and have a good day! My Work...
...and More...

It is a bit of a "grey area" legally I suppose. This is the disclaimer from the site:

> All logos are trademarks of their respective owners, and are offered as a convenience for their lawful use only, with proper permission from the copyright or trademark holders.
Downloading files from this site does NOT give you authorization or permission to use the copyrighted logos without the specific consent of the copyright or trademark holder.
Before you use, reproduce or distribute in any manner any logo found on this site, you must first receive the express permission of the holder of the copyright or trademark of that logo. Failure to obtain such permission is a violation under international law.

**** end *****

I've used the site a few times for logos. Last week I was doing a sign for a car showroom who sell Rolls Royce, Bentley, Daihatsu, Isuzu, Subaru, Porsche and a couple of others, and I needed logos for all of them. Getting "official" logos for them all might have taken weeks but I was able to get them in minutes from that site. I'm no law expert but I don't see the harm if you are using the logos for legitimate purposes. Some of the logo owners might see it differently though. I agree some of the logos could be used for making fake goods etc. It would be easy to download e.g. a coca-cola logo and make embroidered baseball caps etc. Joe Bananas' guide to Perth, Scotland
Bananas' tribute to Fawlty Towers!

Yes, what you said seems logical but I'm pretty sure they
are not really on the legal side.
Their site isn't advertised that much, is it?
This looks much more like a russian underground site than
anything else :)
If they were well known, I doubt this little disclaimer
would prevent big corporations to threaten them.

Am I too paranoid?

My Work...
...and More...

I believe what you did by using the logos is breaking the law. You are only allowed to use items like that for personal use. You have taken them off the site, and then reproduced them for public viewing.

I'm not a lawyer either, but I'm sure what you did isn't exactly legal even though it was legitimate.

Not sure though. Defineately a grey area. NATE
spyderix.gif

But the point is I was using the logos on a sign for a car dealers who are authorised dealers for the car brands I mentioned. I presumed they had certain rights to use the car makers logos on printed stationery etc.

The standard response these days when you say "have you got xyx's logo?" is "can't you get it off a website?" They don't understand that an inch-square logo in GIF or JPEG format at 72dpi is as much use as a chocolate teapot for anything.

I'm not sure why I could download a Porsche logo for "personal use"? It is all in the end usage, as long as you are not using the logo where you shouldn't then it should be OK? I hope ;-) Joe Bananas' guide to Perth, Scotland
Bananas' tribute to Fawlty Towers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back