Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

finding unique records

Status
Not open for further replies.

bv2000

Vendor
Nov 9, 2006
US
i have a database of about 7000 records. Each record is made up of 2 fields - ID# and Date of Svc.
Here is my problem: I want to make a mailing list and i must isolate all duplicate ID#. How do I do that. If I use the ! symbol, i must manually delete all entries for an ID# and just leave one. That will take forever. I am sure there is a much easier way to do that. Any help would be very appreciated.

See

If you only want to isolate the records, skip the delete part and just flag the records that can be duplicates.
With a find/omit on these fields you can isolate the 'unique' records, which will give you the found set of unique records.

If you want to delete (non reversable, gone is gone, unless you have a backup) records, go for the delete found set.

Try to find a way to avoid duplicates at recordcreation.

In case anyone is interested, I solved the problem myself by exporting all the records into EXCEL and when asked, I grouped the records by the field that had multiple entries. EXCEL automatically kept only 1 unique entry and deleted all the duplicates. I then opened a new file in FM with the EXCEL data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back