Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding TOP 3 SUMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stolman

Programmer
Jul 24, 2004
US
I have an ACTIVITY table with Date, Zip, Category (from lookup table CAT) and Sub-Category (from lookup table SUBCAT).

I have successfully created a Pivot-Table query that shows activity counts by Zip for each Category and Sub-Category within a date range.

The SQL for the above is:
SELECT Activity.Zip, Count(Activity.Zip) AS CountOfZip, Activity.Cat, Activity.SubCat
FROM Activity
WHERE (((Activity.Date) Between [Enter Beginning Date] And [Enter Ending Date]))
GROUP BY Activity.Zip, Activity.Cat, Activity.SubCat;

I need to create a similar Pivot-Table query that shows the TOP 3 most active Zips (the highest counts) within a date range.

Might someone please assist with a code sample to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance,
-bill

Try this:

SELECT Top 3 Activity.Zip, Count(Activity.Zip) AS CountOfZip, Activity.Cat, Activity.SubCat
FROM Activity
WHERE (((Activity.Date) Between [Enter Beginning Date] And [Enter Ending Date]))
GROUP BY Activity.Zip, Activity.Cat, Activity.SubCat
Order BY Activity.Zip;

Your limits are only as far as you set your boundries......

I might not have read your post close enough...

Can't you just do

SELECT TOP 3 Activity.Zip, Count(Activity.Zip) AS CountOfZip, Activity.Cat, Activity.SubCat
FROM Activity
GROUP BY Activity.Zip, Activity.Cat, Activity.SubCat;

Actually I read it wrong. But I think he will need the order by clause to get the top three highest counts.

As follows:

SELECT Top 3 Activity.Zip, Count(Activity.Zip) AS CountOfZip, Activity.Cat, Activity.SubCat
FROM Activity
GROUP BY Activity.Zip, Activity.Cat, Activity.SubCat
Order By CountOfZip DESC;

Your limits are only as far as you set your boundries......

Hi jpiscit1

I tried that already (Order By CountOfZip) and Access grumbles at me, asking for the parameter value of CountOfZip.

I don't know how to get around that one.

Thanks for your prompt post.
-bill

you do:

ORDER BY Count(Activity.Zip)

instead of using the alias.

HTH

Leslie

Thanks Leslie,

Alas, it works, but not correctly. It only provides the counts for one ZIP code (not the TOP 3). Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
-bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back