Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding the largest files 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

farley99

MIS
Feb 12, 2003
US
Hi,

I cleared logs and domlogs but my drive is still almost full, how can i find out what the big, directory of file is?

Drive Critical: /sda2 (/usr) is 98% full

du -sk * | sort -n will show the larges files or directories unless they are hidden .files.

find / -name "*" -size +10000 -print will show the files whose size are greater than 10000.

Best regards !!!!!

Ultrix

Hi

The du commands posted should be adequate for your requirements. However, always remember that the percentage is relative ie. if you have 100 gigs of which 98% percent is used, you still have 2 gigs available. What you should look for are files (eg log files) that grow on a regular basis. Once you have established which files these are, implement a procedure whereby these files are regularly archived and then purged. Its not about how much space you have but rather how you manage it.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back