Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding the DLL's in VB6 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

papayac

Technical User
Jan 21, 2002
US
This should be easy - but I'm missing it somewhere. I have an application I'm going to distribute. I want to place a file on the users computer where all of the dll files are stored (well at least most of them). I don't know what system the user is running Win95/98/NT/2000/XP - How can I find the proper directory for each system. I know there has to be an easy way other than doing a Dir() on all the possible combinations but I can find it.

Thanks in Advance for your time and help

If you use the Package and Deployment wizard with VB, it will place the DLL file in the appropriate location. I would reccommend this so you get all of the neccessary dll's for you application to run copied over.

Just to add to bjd4jc's response.. it looks like you want to add your own file in addition to the DLLs on which your program relies. Most installer makers allow you to use constants in the installation script to indicate standard folders - \Windows\System\, ...\Common Files\, etc. You can indicate that you want your file to go in the System folder and the installer will put it into the appropriate folder for the target system.

Thanks for the help. However the DLL is being created unknowingly by the user to hold an encryted authorization code that is based on when the program is first run. So there is no DLL to install during the installation.

Why a DLL - I figure most people wouldn't wantr to mess with them.

Thanks
David

Add a reference to the Microsoft Scripting Runtime library, then have a look at the following:
[tt]
Dim fso As FileSystemObject
Set fso = New FileSystemObject
MsgBox fso.GetSpecialFolder(SystemFolder).Path

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back