Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding the conf/reg number in Registry

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonSyn

IS-IT--Management
Dec 17, 2002
US
I bought my legal copy of XP, and registered on line. It didn't tell me my confirmation code and now I want to format, change computers, and reinstall and I can't find the reg code, not the CD Key, the other one.

Does anyone know how to look in the registry and find it?

I did call but the problem is MS won't give me that info because they know it's a different computer i'm installing it on...I spent an hour on the phone last night and they said I can't get that info...Even though I paid for the darn program!!

Help me please. I don't want a 20g HD, and 900 Mhz Celeron Processor anymore!

You could call them and maybe say that you are just formatting and re-installing on the same PC???

I tried to do that but they refused to give me the key...

As already explained thouroughly in many other posts, it is not possible to get a working part out of your PC.
If you have another PC, well , Microsoft does 'trust' you that you will delete the other one.
What if you just install it on the new one and try, it might work, it happened before. The solution is out there. [morning]

There is no reason that you need to have any code other than the COA (CD Key Code). If you have purchased XP more than 4 months ago, and have only installed it on that PC at the time of purchase, all you have to do is install it on the new PC. It WILL need to be activated again, but the way activation works its is that it creates a unique hardware code from all the hardware in the pc, but you can do a complete hardware change on the pc 4 times a year without having to call MS. This is a situation that I have run into almost on a weekly basis, a customer wants new hardware, and has a copy of XP already on their old pc, if it is an OEM Copy of XP then it is "legaly" tied to that old PC, but the definition of what the PC is, is up to the vendor if the PC, so if say you use your ram, or hard drive from the old pc (any non-perherial component of the pc, that is vital to the function of the computer), then you can carry your OEM license over to the new parts, if it is a Retail version, meaning it did not come with your computer and DID come with a box and a tri-fold folder to hold the CD, and no COA sticker then you can install it on any 1 computer at any time, with out having to use any old hardware, but it both the OEM and retail can only exist on 1 computer at any given time. There is a lot to XP licensing, but if you are only using it on 1 pc, then you are not in violation of anything. Once you install XP on your new PC, let it do the online activation, as even if you did a clean install on the same PC you would have to do it again anyways, if you cannot activate online, it will give you a toll free number (provided that you are in North America), and you can call and do it over the automated system, and if all else fails you will be put to a MS rep, and tell them you made a hardware change to your PC and now you need to re-activate and it wont let you do it over the net, and they will give you the new 40+ digit code to unlock XP. What you want to do is not a problem, you dont need anything but your CD Key.

Thats a lot of typing just to tell you to go ahead and install XP on your new box and not to worry about activation, as if you have a copy MS will not deny you the new code from them if you cannot get back in, unless it has been registered several times with them. Its not as bad as everyone claims it is...take it from me, I have to do it all the time!

-Mat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back