Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

finding public address from private ip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimsonx9

ISP
Nov 23, 2003
US
is there anyway to find my public address from my private ip? since i want my home computer to access my laptop at school through my ftp server...

Nope. Good thing, too. Hiding behind NAT is the only level of security a lot of people have.

Now, that doesn't mean that you can't get to that ftp server. I'm not sure which direction you are wanting to go, your description isn't really clear.

If the FTP server is at home, you could simply forward the ftp ports coming into the public IP to the FTP server. Of course, if you have the authority to do so, you could do the same at school (you didn't mention if you were a student, teacher, admin, etc).

Either way, keep in mind that FTP servers in general don't provide much in the way of security, so be careful what you forward where.

If your home IP address keeps changing, and you want to connect FROM your laptop TO your ftp server at home, you can use Dynamic DNS.

You can pick up a free dyn-dns account from:[ul][li][/li]
[li][/li][/ul]
you can then connect to [tt]ftp://your_username.dyn-dsn.org/[/tt]

As mhkwood says, you'll need to setup "port forwarding" on your home router. The usual FTP port is 21 - but there are often other ports involved, depending on the ftp server config.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Well,
One thing that you can do, is just check the headers on an e-mail that you send yourself from the machine you want to get to. Somewhere in the headers you'll find the address of the machine that the world sees. This is no help if the machine is behind PAT, which is one to many IP address translation.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back