Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding parent records that have only specific child record values 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

swaybright

Technical User
Jun 25, 2003
US
My actual application is a bit more complex, but this example demonstrates what I want to accomplish. I have 5 tables:

JellyBeans
JellyBeanID
Color​

Cups
CupID
CupName​

CupDetails
CupDetailsID
CupID
JellyBeanID
NumberofBeans​

Bowls
BowlID
BowlName
SurveyScore​

BowlDetails
BowlDetailsID
BowlID
CupID
NumberofCups

So basically I can create an inventory of cups that have some combination of jellybeans of specific colors, then I can use that inventory of cups to create bowls of jellybeans to make further combinations of colors. For any given bowl of jellybeans, I can trace the exact number of each color.
What I would like to do is select the bowls that have only a specified dynamic combination of colors. For example select all bowls that have only red, white, and blue jellybeans.
Note also that new colors can be added at anytime, so I would like to maintain this flexibility without rewriting the query every time a new color is added to the JellyBeans table.

Thanks!
Shane

If your [tt]JellyBeans[/tt] table looks like this

[pre]
JellyBeanID Color
1 red
2 white
3 blue
4 black
[/pre]
you may in your Select statement have something like:[tt]
Select ... From ...
Where JellyBeans.JellyBeanID IN (1, 2, 3)
And ...
[/tt]
As far as "flexibility without rewriting the query". Display to the User set of check boxes created 'on-the-fly' based on what's in your JellyBeans table

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

Thanks Andy!
That almost does what I want and it helps me get moving in the right direction. However, it returns all bowls that have red, white or blue regardless of the other colors that are present. I would like it to exclude bowls that would (in your example) contain black so that the resulting dynaset would be bowls that have red, white, blue, red/white, red/blue, blue/white, and red/white/blue; but none contain black even if they contain red, white, and/or blue.

I get the feeling that I need to create a form that has 3 list boxes: a master list of jellybean colors, an IN box, and a NOT IN box with buttons like in the form wizard to move items back and forth. I saw something like that somewhere--anybody remember?

Thanks!

Assuming the Northwind database with a CustomerID (cups) in the Orders table and ProductID (colors) in the Order Details table.

I would first create a query that returns the unique Products by Customer (cups and colors):

qgrpCustProds
SQL:
SELECT Orders.CustomerID, [Order Details].ProductID
FROM Orders INNER JOIN [Order Details] ON Orders.OrderID = [Order Details].OrderID
GROUP BY Orders.CustomerID, [Order Details].ProductID;

Then to find the customers who had ordered products 10,29,72,75 and no other products, the query would be:

SQL:
SELECT qgrpCustProds.CustomerID
FROM qgrpCustProds
WHERE qgrpCustProds.ProductID In ([b][highlight #FCE94F]10,29,72,75[/highlight][/b]) AND 
(SELECT COUNT(*) from qgrpCustProds CP where cp.CustomerID = qgrpCustProds.CustomerID))=[b][highlight #FCE94F]4[/highlight][/b]
GROUP BY qgrpCustProds.CustomerID;

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

So I created a subquery with the same syntax as above except with

Where JellyBeans.JellyBeanID NOT IN (4) as the criteria for BowlID

So something like this:
Select BowlID
From Bowls...(all the join statements)
Where JellyBeans.JellyBeanID IN (1, 2, 3)
And
Bowls.BowlsID Not In (
Select Bowl ID
From Bowls...(all the join statements)
Where JellyBeans.JellyBeanID NOT IN (4)
)

Thanks Duane!
I think I am on the right track to solve the problem. I found the FAQ for the listboxes.

I ought to be able to slide the items between the IN and Not IN boxes and have super flexibility to build the query to not only as I described but also with the ability to exclude certain colors and be indifferent about others.

My thanks to you and Andy for the great advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back