Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding out which provider owns teh number 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMGTEKIII

Programmer
Apr 25, 2007
US
I am trying to go through a list of TN's or telephone numbers that our company owns, and know this sounds funny but, in order to see who the telco that provides the number to us is......so basically, I have a 10 digit number, and I ned to know who supplies that number to us......sounds simple, but again NOT....IS THERE AN EASY WAY TO DO THIS ???

I work in a CO, so have access to Query LRN, and the LERG. That's the only way I know how to do it. Get friendly with someone at your local CO that has access to those tools, and you should be golden. And yes, there are probably other ways to do it, this is the only way I know.

well, Generally speaking the local exchange carrier whoever it is, if you have the numbers, they should be able to tell you who it is ported to, by looking in their provisioning, have you done that ? I suppose it depends on how physically close the various numbers are i.e. how many miles/states apart they are as to how much they can help you if they are in a different state from you the states commerce dept can usually help if you know the city they can usually tell you who the carrier's are

My list consists of 10 different states.....

Won't that just give you the ORIGINAL "assignee" of the number?

If the number gets ported to a competitor, the site will still show the original telco provider to whom it was provided.

Our main phone number here at work, for example, is "assigned" to Verizon, but we do not use Verizon here...

That will at least put me in the correct direction.......meaning if I call verizon, they will let me know if they do not and then who does....

Thanks for all the assistance guys! I am well on teh way to putting this tast to bed!!!

Won't dialing 611 on the line take you to repair service for whomever supplies the line?

Or, if you can't physically do that, when I reach repair "service" at PacBell/SBC/the "new" at&t, the automated system asks you to input the number in trouble. After confirming that you input it correctly, if it is handled by a different LEC, it will tell you who, and their trouble reporting number. If it simply asks you to stay on the line for assistance, it is handled by at&t themselves.

A simple question you did not ask... Who bills your company for the lines?

The phone bills usually have a business office number on them. Also some service providers send out Customer Service Records periodically which detail the account contents.

You could have a reseller in the middle, but resellers don't usually have switches.

Most of the previous posts provide a way of identifying the "CO code holder (NXX)", including thousand number block pooling, which does not tell you who the service provider is IF the individual number(s) has been ported to another provider and not the carrier of record.

So the only real way would be if you know someone that has access to the "NPAC", which is the "lookup" database via SS7 for all LNP capable switches where the LRN is stored. The LRN or Local Routing Number is a destination instruction "where to send the call" or end office switch where the call will terminate.

Hope this helps!

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back