Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding out when users last logged on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

milfordboy

Programmer
Dec 13, 2005
GB
Is there a way to find out when a user last logged on? I run a network in a school environment and I'm trying to find which users are not using the system.

I'm sure at one point I managed to list all users and the last logon date using the "net" command from the command prompt.

Any suggestions?

The Windows 2003 Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in provides access to the last logon field. Open the snap-in, right-click Saved Queries, and select New, New Query. In the New Query dialog box, enter a name for your query and click Define Query. In the Find dialog box, make sure Common Queries is selected in the Find drop-down list. Then enter 30 in the Days since last logon field and click OK twice to close the dialog boxes.

Keep in mind that your domain environment will have to be in Windows 2003 native mode and that Windows 2000 DC's don't replicate this data. If you don't fall into the category that will allow you to get this information via the query in the MMC then you could always use a third party tool like DumpSec tool from systemtools.com. There are several free and paid tools that will work well for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back