Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding out the type of RAM 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chr1sUK

Technical User
Jan 14, 2004
GB
I am going to be doing an upgrade job on a friends computer, which includes a memory upgrade.

The only problem is, I am not sure what kind of RAM is in the machine. They do not know themselves, and there is no documentation stating which type of RAM the machine takes.

As a general rule of thumb, how do I find out?

TIA.

The best thing would be to try and find out the make/model of the motherboard, you may be able to do this from the BIOS screen. Otherwise you can open the case and look at the memory, that would give an idea as to if it was DDR or SD ram etc.

If you have a few more details about the computer (speed, make/model etc) you may be able to find the information you need online (ie if its a dell dimension 330 you can get this info from the dell site)

Hope this helps.

S.

Thanks, I will take a look at the BIOS and failing that the acutal memory itself.

It's a fairly old machine, it's not a mainstream brand.

Thanks.

You can also use a program called SiSoftware Sandra to determine they type of RAM that the machine requires and if there are any memory slots still available. Then you don't have to open the case until you are ready to install. The program can also tell you the make/model and chipset on the motherboard as well.
It's free to download and install from any of these sites:

All great accomplishments were once considered impossible.

Killoz - Thankyou very much.

The Sandea program is going to be a big player in my toolbox, it's saved me alot of fuss!!

Have a star!

Another good program is "Everest Home" (used to be AIDA32). Sandra is better IF you pay for the "extra" modules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back