Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding NT User Groups via SP

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunny456

Programmer
Nov 7, 2002
US
I need a method of finding out which NT user groups a user is a member of, via a stored procedure.

Any help would be appreciated,

Sunny

Try ...

xp_enumgroups 'DomainName' OR

sp_helpntgroup

Thanks

J. Kusch

Thanks for your reply but what I need is a way to determine the NT user groups that an individual login is a member of and not a list of all NT user groups in a Domain.

Thanks,

Sunny

There's nothing native to SQL that will do this. Out of interest, can I just ask why you need to do this?

--James

James, thanks for the reply.
As far as why - we are in the process of developing an appl(sort of a menuing system) that will allow access to certain appl's and reports based on each user's NT security. The caveat is that we don't want to show the user any programs in the menu that they don't have access to and we would prefer to use the existing NT security rather than maintaining a separate "user profile/security" table.

Sunny

I see. I would say it would probably be easier to do this checking direct from the app, rather than go through SQL Server. You could query Active Directory for this info - obviously the exact method for doing this would vary depending on how you've built your app.

I've never done this myself but you may get a solution by posting in a forum dedicated to your app (VB, ASP etc..)

--James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back