Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding MAC Address 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EST7745

IS-IT--Management
May 6, 2003
US
I'm attempting to find the MAC address for lots of computers on my network. I'm using the NET CONFIG WKSTA command...however it returns lots of numbers....which one is the MAC address. Is there any shareware that can collect this info for me and save me some time?

go start > run

type in cmd

a dos window will come up

type in ipconfig /all

it should list MAC address

Jason

Sorry it says

Physical address:

This is your MAC address

Jason

Rich Cook -- "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

Go to and get their LANGuard software. Sit on your PC and aim it at your LAN. It will give IP and MAC addresses for all computers (PC or not) on your network. And printers...

why get 3rd party software when MS give you the tools..

Regards

Si.

Win2k MCP

go start > run

type in cmd

type arp -a
it will give you a list of all your network computers ip addresses and their corresponding Mac addresses
(the arp table)

type arp /? for help

I thought an entry only went into the ARP table once you'd tried a connectin to the device (e.g. ping it first then it will display an ARP entry)? Also ARP won't help if some of the PCs are on a different subnet as you'll get the router MAC not the PC.

You cannot get MAC information from an arp request to a different subnet, but you can force a population of the arp cache for your subnet and return the MAC addresses:

One way to expand the list is to ping the broadcast address just before checking the arp cache. For example, assuming you're on a class C (or /24) network with an address of 192.168.10.17, you could ping 192.168.10.255.

Follow this with an arp -a

If the target system is not on your segment, you most likely won't be able to learn it's IP address given only it's MAC address, as MAC addresses do not transend network segments. If your switches are managed, you can query the arp cache of the switch.

There is also Tek-tip member ricpinto's little trick:

c:\>FOR /L %i IN (1,1,254) DO nbtstat -a 192.168.0.%i>>nbtstat.txt

(1,1,254) - (start,step,end)
%i - variable.
nbtstat.txt - Resulting file.

Adjust the line to reflect your subnet.

If your are using DHCP the MAC address will be listed in the MMC console.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back