Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

finding location of ip address

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluetoe

Programmer
Jul 8, 1999
I belong to icq chat. There is a person I talk to that says they are from Toronto. In their info it shows an ip add of 152.173.216.11 . I was able to see that this is a registered AOL address which is located in Weston, Va. I frankly don't believe this person is from Toronto and believe they are signing on as other people also to try to talk to me. Is there any way to get more info on this ip address? Would AOL route their Toronto customers through Virginia? thanks for any help, nothing serious here but just curious.

Lat, Lon: 38.969, -77.341<br>
<br>
RESTON, VA<br>
USA<br>
<br>
This is the geographic location of the requested IP address, you were right. Also it would not make much sense routing Toronto customers to Virgina

From my understanding of IP address registration this would just be the address of the owner of the address. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the physical location.<br>
<br>
WHOIS returned:<br>
whois.arin.net 152.173.216.0<br>
<br>
America Online, Inc (NET-AOL6)<br>
12100 Sunrise Valley Drive<br>
Reston, VA 20191<br>
US<br>
<br>
Netname: AOL-173<br>
Netblock: 152.173.0.0 - 152.173.255.255<br>
<br>
Coordinator:<br>
AOL Domain Administration (AOL-NOC-ARIN) domains@AOL.NET<br>
703-265-4670<br>
<br>
Domain System inverse mapping provided by:<br>
<br>
DAHA-01.NS.AOL.COM 198.81.17.233<br>
DAHA-02.NS.AOL.COM 205.188.157.233<br>
<br>
Record last updated on 16-Apr-98.<br>
Database last updated on 13-Jul-99 16:16:22 EDT.<br>
<br>
This just means that AOL (whose registration address is in Reston, VA) owns the block of addresses from 152.173.0.0 - 152.173.255.255.<br>
<br>
Just my 2 cents<br>

assuming its all done with the same Ip address range and in the same place with all the servers in the same network. You are correct. Sometimes it isn't so, I should have made more sense, my fault.

Hi,

I am very new to this Solaris System Adminstrator Area. We have Solaris Sparc 5.8 machine.

I need a utility which tracks/logs the IP Address of all the remote machine's connecting to my Solaris Machine.

Machine can connect to my Solaris machine using telnet, ftp, scp, sftp or ssh services.

Your timely help is really appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Vasu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back