Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding latitude / longitude from UK postcode (geocoding?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarenLloyd

Programmer
Nov 23, 2005
GB
Hiya

Just a quick note. I was looking at how to send latitude / longitude with job locations.

There are lots of suggestions involving Google, Yahoo and other mapping services, including thread184-1708343 - but I came across this list today that gives the latitude and longitude for the first part (outcode) from UK postcodes.

Just import the CSV into your own lookup table.

Hope this helps save someone else some time.

All the best...

Karen

Karen,

Thanks for posting this. I do quite a lot of work with geocoding of UK postcodes, so this is of interest to me.

I don't know whether you are aware of this, but in the UK we often use the National Grid rather than latitude / longitude in geographic applications. The National Grid is a simple cartsian system that locates any point in Great Britain to any desired precision. Its main advantage is that it is simpler to use in calculations, for example determining all points in a given radius of a given postcode. (Sorry, you no doubt already know all this, but it might be of interest to others.)

I have written a couple of articles myself that might be of some interest:

I wasn't aware of the tool that you referenced. I'll take a look at it.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back