Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding IP address thru WINS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakenjod

MIS
Jun 30, 2003
US
I know there is someplace on a Windows 2000 server that you can go in and find out what internal and external IP address a client is assigned. Does anyone know where I need to go to access that information??

What do you mean internal and external IP address of a client?

NAT doesn't actually assign a computer with a private IP address a public IP address. All NAT does is translate the source address in the packet header of the client computer to its own IP address.

Steven S.
MCSA
A+, Network+, Server+, i-Net+

Sorry about that .......

Would you be able to check the records in DNS and WINS?

If the clients are DHCP clients and your Windows 2000 server is running DHCP, you can check the address lease to see which client got what IP.

Steven S.
MCSA
A+, Network+, Server+, i-Net+

If you have physical access to the system, an IPCONFIG will give you the (internal) IP address. If you are behind a NAT device, the external IP seen will be the same for all internal clients.

If you have the computer name, you can simply ping it to get the IP address.

The WINS snap-in can be added to an MMC and used to find the IP address as well.

The DHCP snap-in can be used to find an IP address if you know which subnet the machine is on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back