Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding a job after CCNA towards CCNP

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfbum99

Technical User
May 8, 2006
GB
Hiya,

I've worked in the I.T area for about 12 years now, trouble is I've taken my CCNA this year and now im half way through my CCNP in the hope of getting a Network Analyst job and security, better money than what I'm on at the moment.
Trouble is my job is at the moment a Senior Support analyst where my skills are Solaris, MQ Series, Weblogic, and a bit of Oracle.
But when I try and put in for Networking jobs there seems to be a big wall infront. Either you can be on one side of the boat or the other. I so administrate a Cisco 7200 at work at the moment, but no big experience in network analyst role.
So could any one advise on how can I get into a role which will compliment my training in CCNP, as I don't seem to be having must luck with the ads at the moment for City of London.
I might if I continue end up with a CCNP but hardly and large experience. Trouble is they want the earth, CCNP and 5 years experience!
I'm even prepared to have a pay cut just to get into the networking side 100% to gain that experience. Its tuff I've been finding.
Put your C.V into an Agency for a network role, yet they'll phone me back for a different role somewhere else!!

Alistair.

I hear where your coming from. I've just found a "networking" job. All I did for three years was networking. When I was looking for a job they wanted someone with Sql, Microsoft and server administration. Never done either. You have I.T experience and your CCNA and I wouldn't see why you can't get networking a job. Try using recruiters.

Cat Chaser - A+, INet+, CCNA
Just got laid off!! Man that sucks. Dallas/FW

Alistair,

I mysely work around London. If you aim for the CCNP level jobs then Im affraid they want the experience to go with it. First thing to do is emphasis more on your CV your networking experience, tailor it to your Job parse'.

Also where are you looking for work? is a good one to start, and putting in the keyword CCNA or CCNP yeilds thousands of jobs in London. do you have a niche skills? I know in London IPT is in demand? or have you considered taking contract work?

Another thing to consider is making a big cv and posting it on monster, this is good and bad in the same breath, I get hundereds of calls a week, but becuase 5 years ago I did C++ they call about that, so again tailor your CV to what you want out of it.

Also contact some of the ISPs direct, but a lot of them are based west london / bracknel / reading area. I know that Cable & Wireless are recruiting. Another option is to go on the Cisco partner website, locate all the partners in your area and send you CV out to them.

Hopefully theres some bits there to help you get started.

Visit for free Cisco rack access.

CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCDP, CCIE R&S (Written), Net+, MCP, NCTS

Hey Dude, as someone in one the post below has mentioned just tailor your CV to be comparable with networking. Lastly, persistence as the best man wins so in otherwords just keep on applying and spamming your CV to agencies and I don't see why you wouldn't land a networking role. Keep on, keep on and have the mentality of not giving up or even be put of because of your lack of experience in this area. You'd be okay so go out there and get that networking job role. Cheerio.

Hi,

Many thanks for the replies, some good advice. Yep I have been sticking my C.V through jobserve, jobsite etc, but its a waiting game to find a good enough one. Trouble is my job at the moment, (Senior Support Analyst) I have the main skills of Solaris, Weblogic, Mq Series, basic oracle, and I also administrate internally a Cisco 7200 UBR router.

I've decided I've had enough, the job is only paying 35k, and that I want to get more totalling into Cisco. So in my own time, I bought 2 1721s and a 2600, and 1900 switch, passed my CCNA in May, and I'm half way through my CCNP.

This is after enjoying working on routers, configuring them, etc and also looking at the amount of money a CCNP/Security Analyst with experience can earn.
So im determined to follow through and get my CCNP. The only trouble is getting a networking job that will compliment my studying, and still be able to get one with hardly any experience, just training.

Its hard to switch over but I do prefer security and networking with routers/switches etc, a lot more interesting and more money in the long run. But trying to get changed over from a Senior support analyst to Network analyst and keep the same pay its hard.

But I will keep trying those job sites. Theres a lot of bad job agencies out there that take you for a ride, and it all seems to be a big game!

In the short term it may be hard with your experience to bolster that 35K or you may have to consider shift work within a NOC, add 12 months experience and a CCNP to that and permenant you should be looking around the 50K mark in London.

Yes it is all a big game, and Im affraid we have to play it, but as with any game the idea is to win! My best srouce of calls is Monster.co.uk post you cv open on there.

Good luck

Shift work , you mean while im still doing my day job, and to do this shift work at weekends?

I'll end up in a funny situation, CCNP with no experience!

you said yourself you have worked on 7200, which is more than a lot.

What I mean is to keep you money the same move to a job that includes a shift allowance!

How much admin do you do on this 7200? do you have any switches etc at work, try to get involved with the. Mold yourself to what you want to be.

I feel your pain surfbum; same tune here in the US. I started out getting a BS in CS degree - even graduated with honors. Found out that a degree is useless alone, so I obtained the CCNA. However, I later came to find out that the CCNA is, let's be honest, completely useless. (Without additional experience, the CCNA is just enough information to make you dangerous) So, now I'm finishing up my CCNP. However, It now seems that CCNP's are in abundance as well! (Sigh) What now? I do not think I have the memory to obtain the CCIE.

BS or Certification without any experiences are useless now a day. When I first started working with no experience but a MCSE in windows 2000, they pay me $13.75 as a help desk/support analysts. After two years i'm now a system administrator paying $54,000. So you see, if you know what you're doing your employer are willing to pay for what you're worth.

do you live here in the US? 12 years of experience paying only paying you $35k. that an insult to your inteligence.

Well if this is what you really want to do just keep trying!!!!!! When i got my first MCSE in 1996 the job offers were coming in like crazy.......much has changed since then......the big layoffs in IT and outsourcing. My friend I work with from INDIA says every kid in his high school wants to work in IT....... and they do.....they work for Oracle, Microsoft, Cisco over THERE etc but they make a whopping 10 g's and from what he tells me that is like 100 here..After 14 years now in IT i am only making 50...Its a lot for the area i live in but i chose the path of trying to be safe in terms of layoffs etc and so far has been good.Jumping at the big paycheck sometimes will leave you with nothing. And the fact that everybody has there CCNA and such. Well if you dont' have it you won't have a chance when the time comes for that IT job. If you do some research on IT industry in the next 10 years it's in the top 10 for growth. Sooner or later you will get your oppurtunity so keep trying. The grim side of this is the global reality. Why not pay a guy 10 g's in INDIA instead of 100 here........ sucks.......but it's here......good luck and don't give up.......

Everybody has their CCNA? Heck, I'm starting to think that everybody has their CCNP and the only way I'll get a job is to get the CCNP and apply for helpdesk. (Looking back, I guess that's exactly what rmcp2k said to do!) The more I research, the more I think anything less than CCIE is useless. Unless, of course, you have 5 years of experience, in which case you can be CCNA and get a job.

Hi,

Well I have found there are some jobs out there that do require both Solaris knowledge and want a person to be a CCNA. But it seems where the money is, is CCNP, CCIE, CCSP security and a person with loads of experience.
So I'm helping out our internal support group so I can put that on my C.V as experience, they've got three routers, big CAT switch and 7 flood switches, asked any help they need I will muck in, so I can put that on my C.V as well.

Just nothing at the moment, must of applied for over 30 roles in the City of London area, all seem to be very much great when they first phone you asking loads of obvious question then nothing!

But as time goes on I'll get my CCNP and go on further, just keep at it.

Surfbum -

That's the spirit - keep working on that CCNP! You've got experience and you have other skills. You can leverage that experience to get a fine job, I'm sure. As for me, I have no idea what I'm going to do when I finish the CCNP.

This is all about supply and demand right? I guess do some research on what IT positions will be out there? What technologies will be in demand? How many corps will need what kind of people.....There are only so many CCIE's and CCwhatevers to go around........There are going to be oppurtunities out there. We just may not see them today. I dont' think this is a situation where we have people who have exp and certs driving cabs. Its not like it used to be though.........Everybody and there brother wants mcse and ccwhatever......I am pretty convinced by the research i have done there will be jobs out there but it's frustrating to see this ........CCIE 10 years exp BS in electrical engineering.......Pay $$$$.........How many are qualified for this and looking for a job? And HELPDESKMAN i think there are also lots out there that dont' make it.......It's not exactly an easy road and keep your sanity too.......

Holla.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back