Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding a connection using ps

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbernsca

MIS
Jan 10, 2008
CA
Hi,

I am currently using ps aux | grep id (where id is a user that is connecting).

I can find that a user id is connecting multiple times over and over and bogging down the server; however, how can I find out where this connection is coming from? It might be a PC or another application but I cannot seem to narrow it down.

Please assist.

Thx

I don't have a machine next to me but i think you can find this using the who command!

Regards,
Khalid

If the user is connected through an application using the same user ID then you might consider using netstat -a to view all the connections!

Regards,
Khalid

Well the ps command might do it but it seems to truncate the output ... ps aux | grep id but the output is cut off .... any suggestions?

you are right on ps auxww unfortunately :( it does not provide me more info other then the fact it is a Oracle connection ... using the netstat -a looks like i get some truncated output as well ...

I get this ricardo connection but I am not sure what that means if it is a user / process / known thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back