Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

find

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIS

Technical User
Jun 1, 2001
NL
Hello,

I am updating sendmail on an old RH6.2 machine. I want to copy the config.mc details, but I cannot figure out where this is stored. If I do a

find / -name config.mc

I get this error

find: /proc/6/fd: Permission denied

What does this mean? Is it searching the floppy drive? Has the search finished? If so it didn't find that file. Perhaps I need to search for config.cf file, by every time I do the 'find' I get the above error.

Any ideas?

.. are you logged in as root to do the find

the permission denied means that for some reason (usual that you are not root) you can't see the file specified.

If you are in as root, /proc/6/fd could have been in the list that the system compiled when you started the find command and not there when it looked for it, this would cause the error permission denied.

once you have typed the command;

find / -name config.mc -print

you will have a flashing cursor, once it returns to the prompt, the search is finished.

thnaks for replying. I am logged in as root. I was wondering what the /proc/6/fd actually is. Why does even root not have access?

Are you wanting to backup your sendmail configuration? If so, you should search for sendmail.mc in /etc. On my RedHat 7 systems, it was in /etc/mail. //Daniel

i already sort of answered that, but I'll let you off this time

3rd line down in my first reply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back