Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Find Users that are logged in

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenninbe

Instructor
Jan 28, 2002
US
Is there an easy way to find out where users are logged in, on a Windows 2000 domain?

For example, I can NET SEND [user account] and then use NBTSTAT -c to find out what IP address the user is logged into.

Is there a better way or a utility out there for this?

Thanks,
Beau

If you have WINS set up it will tell you what computers are Active and Inactive. If each user has their own computer that would essentially give you what you need.

Roger

A net sessions on a server will show all users that are active on that server. I did see a post a few days ago, that mentioned a program that will do what you want i think.

I appreciate your replies and both are good tips for viewing users. But I am looking for something more.

The WINS will show the active pc's, but not the users that are logged into them.
The network shares/sessions will only show me the users that are actively working with files on a specific server.

With Active Directory, I would think that there is some way to tell when and where users are logged in. I know that the Event Viewer will show Logon success/failure, but this would be tedious to use everytime I want to find a user.

Any tools/utilities that provide this info?

Thanks,
Beau

psloggedon does, but you have to do it for each computer so it is probably not what you are looking for. It is from sysinternals.com

wow!

I like this tool alot.

It seems a little slow when searching through a large network. Like you said, it looks at each computer.

This is probably the closest I will get to finding what I want. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back