Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Find the Physical Path of a Mapped Network Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikemcginty

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
AU
Is there any way in Visual Basic of retrieving the physical path of a mapped network drive?

I have tried FileSystemObject.GetAbsolutePathName but this only returns the mapped path

For example if physical drive J:\PFolder1\PFolder2 is mapped to Q:\. (Note: J:\ does not show in Windows Explorer but Q:\ does)

Now I now want to retrieve the physical path of
Q:\FolderA\FolderB
as
J:\PFolder1\PFolder2\FolderA\FolderB

Any help would be appreciated

When you call out for help in the darkness, and you hear a voice in return, you're probably just talking to yourself again!

Thanks taupirho

I did find similar code elsewhere and tried it but it didn't work. It returns a blank string.

When you call out for help in the darkness, and you hear a voice in return, you're probably just talking to yourself again!

I'm pretty sure it can be done in vbscript. How about you use vbscript to write the mapping string to a file. Call the vbscript within vb, then read the vbscript created file in vb.

Clunky, I know but I think it would work OK.

You can get this information using Windows Scripting Host.

Add a reference to Windows Script Host Object Model and try the following code.
___
[tt]
Function GetUNCPath(LocalDrive As String) As String
With New WshNetwork
With .EnumNetworkDrives
Dim NetDrives As Object, N As Long
For N = 0 To .Count - 1 Step 2
If LocalDrive = .Item(N) Then
GetUNCPath = .Item(N + 1)
Exit Function
End If
Next
End With
End With
End Function

Private Sub Form_Load()
MsgBox GetUNCPath("Z:")
End Sub[/tt]

Thanks Hypetia

The function only returns \\servername\PFolder1\PFolder2\ but does not show the physical drive (ie J:\PFolder1\PFolder2\)

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back