Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Find the new partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DgtlLgk

Technical User
May 3, 2004
CY
Very newbie question
.......i never use Solaris before.Now i install on an intel machine solaris 10.My HDD is about 300gb.I created a partition(50gb) during setup.When finish setup i use format,fdisk commands to create/allocate the rest of my HDD.In fdisk menu i can see my 2 partitions with the first one as active.Now from here and after how do i use/allocate/mount etc my second partition so i can use it??........The bad think is that the 2nd partition is going to be used for oracle :).....that how im gonna do it???????......hehehe
Thanx in advance

Assuming that Solaris (Intel) is very similar to Solaris (SPARC):
- use newfs (create a unix file system on the partition)
- use mkdir (create a directory at which to mount the new filesystem)
- use mount <special-device-file> /<directory>
- edit /etc/vfstab (so filesystem is mounted at system boot time)

Check the man pages for the commands before you use them.

I hope that helps.

Mike

Mike042 thanx for your reply.......see that is my problem which device/slice i will do newfs???the 0-7 slices are for my 50 gb partition.how can i see which /dev/dsk/cxdxsx is my second 250gb partition?...if it "relies" in there :)!!!
...........cheers

You only need 1 slice to define a parition. Traditiional solaris ufs only allow 8 slices per physical drive.

To see the 'special device files', use:
ls -al /dsk/dev/c*s0

To see the 'disk map' (or VTOC - volume table of contents), use:
prtvtoc /dev/dsk/c?t?d?s0

From the information displayed with 'prtvtoc', you can tell how big the 'disk' is.

If the only 'special device files' are for the 50gb 'disk' and say a CD-Rom drive, then the 250GB 'disk' has not been presented to the system correctly.

I hope that helps.

Mike

elgrandperro is stictly correct, but slice 2 of a disk is usually defined as the 'full disk' and thus isn't usually used for filesystems. You might also want to investigate 'soft' partitioning which gets around the traditional limitations.

Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks - make sure most are the former.

......Guys thanx for the replies..Thats why i post here :).All of my 8 slices(0-7)are for my first part. and mounted accordingly,indeed 2 is for my whole part..Mike042 i will try that.........still cant find the second partition.How am i gonna 'search' for it?
cheers.

.........still cant find the second partition.How am i gonna 'search' for it?

Before you can use newfs, etc, Solaris must be able to 'see' the slice/partition (ie via format or by ls -al /dev/dsk/c*s0, etc). Your second partition (250gb) must be 'presented' to Solaris (at the 'hardware' level). I am not familiar with Solaris on x86. You say you can see both partitions in 'fdisk', perhaps you have to make the second one active (as well as the first) before Solaris can see it.

I hope that helps.

Mike

Mike042 what i did ......i reformat my HDD, and i created 'manually' one partition.Then i assign slice0 to my 50gb that i wanted the system to be installed.Then i assign slice1 to the rest 250gb as the folder that i want for my oracle.I dont know if that is what i should do from the beginning :-D....see working mostly with windows(what!!who!!:)), and a little bit with linux.i dont know about solaris file system.Either way it seems that i can do what i want this way.....i hope.Thanx a lot for your posts........now i have to find how iam going to setup oracle hehehehe.....Thanx guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back