Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

find seems to die 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

busdiew

MIS
Sep 28, 2001
US
I am running the find command in varies configurations and it seems to run OK for a short period of time and then it just stops working. If you check running processes it shows up but it is not doing anything.

It seems particularly bad if you are running a full filesystem scan.

This is happening on Solaris 8 and 2.6, but mostly 8. Also the systems range from smaller systems like Ultra 5's all the way up to E10K domains. Some have EMC disk, some do not. Not all systems seems to be doing it, but I can not seem to find a common factor. I am sure I am just over looking it, but I do not know what it is.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help,
busdiew --- a long time Unix user, but Solaris is not my strongest point.

run
truss -p pid_of_find
can you "see" anything?

110905-02 SunOS 5.8: /usr/bin/find patch
is installed?

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - "Home of the Whopper", oh no, "Home of the Oktoberfest" ;-)
Solaris System Manager; I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Do you have any nfs or autofs mounted filesystems?
This can hang find. If you do have these filesystems you may need to prune your search to only the local finesystems

Ok it took me a little while to return to this issue, but here it is.

I used the truss command and got the following:
getdents64(7, 0x00028560, 1048) (sleeping...)

I have not had the oppertunity to check for the patch.

Also in answer the other post:
No automounts, some systems have NFS, but not all. The system I got the above from does not have any NFS mounts.

Thanks for the help so far.
=- busdiec -=

ok, the syscall getdents64() is sleeping, this does not tell us very much but that find is still running;

I suggest to start find again in a trussed environment:
truss -v all -o truss.out find findargs[/b]

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - "Home of the Whopper", oh no, "Home of the Oktoberfest" ;-)
Solaris System Manager; I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Sorry I have not been able to work on this more. But all of the systems I have had to work with more resently do not have the problem. I will try to get back to one of the systems that was showing the problem and try as you suggest in teh last post.

Thanks again for the help.
busdiew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back