Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Find out what computer created a document. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomed

Programmer
Apr 1, 2002
US
I have a document that I need to find the author of. But there's one problem. Our machines are imaged and all have the company name show up are the author of Word documents. Is there any way to find out what computer the doc was created on? Or am I stuck because the user info shows the company name?

and

may help you.

And you can always edit the file in hexadecimal mode and look through it to see if you can find any other name not available on the printed document that may help to idenfity who did it.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

Just to add to my previous email.

The only thing that will probably help is if the document was saved more than once, and on this case the path of previous verison MAY be within the document.

If you use Windows NT/2000/XP then it is possible that the document was originaly saved on the computer user name folder, and this will probably still be on the document.
If the "trace" program on the second link does not identify the string then use a hexa editor (quickview plus or gvim ( are just two options) to search the document.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

Thanks frederico,

Looks like the person had it open long enough on their machine for a couple of autosaves. This should be what I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back