Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Find multiple records in a field

Status
Not open for further replies.

bv2000

Vendor
Nov 9, 2006
US
I have an ID field and want to find all IDs that start with SMIT JONE WILS and want to do it simultaneously. How do I phrase that from within a "FIND

If your 'simultaneously' is within the found set, like:

Find all the records with 'SMIT', in this range find all the records with 'JONE' and in this found set find all the records with 'WILS', you need to constrain or narrow the found set.

1. Perform a find so that your database contains the found set for SMIT.
2. Switch back to Find mode and make the criteria to narrow the search to JONE and choose Requests menu > Constrain Found Set.
3. Switch back to Find mode and make the criteria to narrow the search to WILS and choose Requests menu > Constrain Found Set.

There you have the constrained found set.

If your 'simultaneously' is broadening the found set, like:

Find all the records with 'SMIT', all the records with 'JONE' and all the records with 'WILS', you need to extend the found set.

It's the same as above, just replace Requests menu > Constrain Found Set, by Requests menu > Extend Found Set.

It seems that if i had to find 10 specific names that I wanted for a report, it would take 10 separate find requests to do that. Isn't there a way to do it with one find request. When I was using Approach i could perform a find for many criteria in the same field separated by a comma. for example: smit*,jone*,wils* -

You can do this with the List() function or a valuelist based upon that field, to have a return separated list of unique values.

From there you can go with a global to find related records, to show in a list or in a portal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back