Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Find multiple record query

Status
Not open for further replies.

brendoaccess

Technical User
Mar 28, 2006
GB
Hi

I have two tables that record a one (Donor) to many (Donations) relationship. Most of the Donors in tblDonor make regular donations - each donation has a date, in tblDonations. Having recently undertaken a mailshot I have received many donations from Donors that had been inactive for several years, or had never donated.

The Mailshot was 1 December 08 - I want to know, for all Donations after this date, the length of time between that, and their previous donation (or have something tell me they are a first-time donor).

I can't get it at all - all help appreciated.

Many thanks.

B

tell me they are a first-time donor
What about this ?
SELECT [donor ID], Max([donation date]) AS LastDonation, Count(*) AS NumberOfDonations
FROM tblDonations
GROUP BY [donor ID]
HAVING Max([donation date]) > #2008-12-01# AND Count(*) = 1

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Not there;

TblDonors has fields; DonorID, FirstName, Surname

TblDonations has fields; DonationsID, DonorID, DonationAmt, DonationDate

The query I want would need the 2 tables to identify the Donor making the donations.

I hope this is clearer.

Thanks

You don't know how to join tables ?
did you ever try to adapt my suggestion ?

Yes, but all I got was a mess.

I'll have another go - sorry for the trouble.

perhaps you'll find this helpful:

Understanding SQL Joins

for now:

Code:
SELECT tblDonations.[donorID], Firstname, Surname, Max([donation date]) AS LastDonation, Count(*) AS NumberOfDonations
FROM tblDonations
INNER JOIN TblDonors on tblDonations.donorid = tblDonors.donorid
GROUP BY [donorID]
HAVING Max([donation date]) > #2008-12-01# AND Count(*) = 1

Leslie

Have you met Hardy Heron?

OK - got that - great, thanks a lot, lespaul. I know now how many donations have been made, and the date of the last donation. I can even tweak it for 'average donation' etc, which is incredibly helpful - thanks again.

Back to my original question - for a list of donors, how can I get the Date Difference between the most recent donation, and their last (previous) donation.

Many thanks

well I can't think of how to get the one donation before the last!

Here's how to get the date of the last transaction:

Code:
SELECT DonorID, Max(DonationDate) As LastDonation FROM tblDonations GROUP BY DonorID

And here's how I would use that to get the number of days in between all the donations (typed, not tested):

Code:
SELECT DonorID, DonationDate, LastDonation, DateDiff(DonationDate, LastDonation) As DaysBetween  FROM tblDonations As D
INNER JOIN (SELECT DonorID, Max(DonationDate) As LastDonation FROM tblDonations GROUP BY DonorID) As A ON D.DonorID = A.DonorID

but I can't quite get my head around getting the previous before the latest donation.

HTH

leslie

SELECT D.DonorID, Max(DonationDate) As PrevDonation, LastDonation, LastDonation-Max(DonationDate) As DaysBetween
FROM tblDonations As D INNER JOIN (
SELECT DonorID, Max(DonationDate) As LastDonation FROM tblDonations GROUP BY DonorID
) As A ON D.DonorID = A.DonorID
WHERE DonationDate < LastDonation

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

SELECT D.DonorID, Max(DonationDate) As PrevDonation, LastDonation, LastDonation-Max(DonationDate) As DaysBetween
FROM tblDonations As D INNER JOIN (
) As A ON D.DonorID = A.DonorID
WHERE DonationDate < LastDonation
GROUP BY D.DonorID, LastDonation

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back