Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

find IP of switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokitman1

Technical User
Oct 27, 2004
GB
Hi not sure what forum to put this in??

we have purchased a DEll powerconnect 3024 second hand

WE need to get the IP address to manage it via a browser, the default does not work 192.168.0.1

how can you determine a devices IP address when you do not know it? help please, thanks

Rokitman1
"Any Time..Any Place..Anywhere.....That's Martini" :)

i don't know this dell switch, but you could try through console.. if its second hand, it might not have a ip addresses configured.

CCNA, CCNP..partly ;)

rokitman1,

As MTandSAV said what does it show when you connect to the console port?

If no password set then just Google "DEll powerconnect 3024" and you will find a link to Dell and the users guide.

If the password is set and it is not the default Dell uses "switch" then you will need to check with Dell about procedure to break a password (with Cisco it is easy).

Did not find much on Google on breaking a Dell password, has to be a procedure I would think.

Good luck !

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

hi

thanks for the help...

can not connect via com port, using Dells settings, is there any way of detecting a network devices IP by say just using a network cable? any apps out there? does ping search or scan?

help!

Rokitman1

I saw a link from Dell that explains how to change the current IP address of the switch

Failing that, if you absolutely cannot get a serial connection to work, maybe you need a fast ping scanner. I use Angry IP Scanner for fast IP scans. Note that if someone has configured some obscure IP address on it, even a fast IP scanner will take awhile to find which one it is. Link available below

thats great thanks, I will leave it running tonight, I cant understand why there is not an app that can just tell you what IP address a cable is connected to!

thanks

Rokitman1

If you have it hooked up to a PC you can also try arp -a to see if there's an entry for it.

Also a sniffer might find the IP. You'll likely see a lot 802.3 frames coming out of a switch. That will give you the MAC address then you can try an applet to find the IP. There are little program called Whaddayagot and Getmacaddress or something like that - I'm sure you can find them and others on download.com.

Probably best to learn how to console in though.

rokitman - there is a very handy tool called Angry IP Scanner that will scan a specified range of addresses and tell you what, if anything, is connected to that address. (the hostname is shown)

I used it to find my network printers!

Give it a shot, you can download it here:

Scroll down to the bottom for download options :)

Hope this helps.

Systems Administrator

BSC Network Computing, CCNA. Both in training! :)

hi, gonna leave angry IP scanner running over the weekend, 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255 see what it gives me!

then I will give Whaddayagot and Getmacaddress a go, thanks a lot guys!

who thought finding an IP would be so hard!!!

PS: did try arp - s it seemed to give it a temp IP but still could not connect...

Rokitman1

How know Ip of Any device?

Take note about MAC, Connect it to th network, connect your PC o Laptop whith a sniffer to the same network.
Power on the device and see TCP trafic associated whith the MAC.

Easy!

masternet

I have run the sniffer, which shows the mac activity but does not indicate an IP for the switch in question?

Thanks

Rokitman1

Did you try Angry IP Scanner?

Systems Administrator
BSc Network Computing, CCNA. Both in training! :)

yeah left angry scanner running from Friday evening 5pm until MOnday morning 9am, it was scanning 10.0.0.1 to 10.255.255.254 it got upto about 10.5.x.x

no alive hosts found?

Rokitman1

If you know the mac address, you can assign a local IP to it and connect that way. use

arp -s <local IP> <mac address>

Use 00-AA-11-BB-22-CC format for the MAC.

Then, connect with the local IP you assigned above.

yeah tried that, it assigned the address, but would not connect through a browser? perhaps that is disabled?

it's a right pain, as we want to manage this switch

Rokitman1

What about using a null modem cable to connect to the console? You CAN'T use a straight through serial cable, it MUST be a null modem cable. Use these settings:

Set the data rate to 9600 baud.
Set the data format to 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, and no parity.
Set flow control to none.
Under Properties, select VT100 for Emulation mode.
Select Terminal keys for Function, Arrow, and Ctrl keys. Make sure the setting is for Terminal keys, not Windows keys.

I nned IP to telnet ?
I did try a serial cable, not sure if it was a null modem cable, it came with a Linksys managed new switch, I still could not connect to this Dell though, hyperterm says connected, but no key stroke enables a menu?

Rokitman1

Make sure you're using a null modem cable and connect it to the console on the switch and connect the other end to a serial port on your PC. Start up hyperterm, and connect to the correct com port, then unplug the switch. Plug it back in, and you should see the boot sequence in hyperterm, finally coming to a user prompt.

Serbtastic - Is a null modem the same as a rollover/console cable? RJ45 terminated on both ends, and use an RJ45-DB9 converter?

Systems Administrator
BSc Network Computing, CCNA. Both in training! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back