Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Find IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

jendeacott

Programmer
Feb 11, 2005
GB
Hi,

I have tried to find the answer to this on google on here. Maybe I've had too much coffe but no luck.

Anyway, I want to find and change the IP address for my local SQL Server.

I am sure I have found this before in a file in the SQL Server program files, but I cant for the life of me find it again.

Any help would be great.

Cheers
John

Find out you can improve your plant security and plant tracking
¦

That is done on an Operating System (OS) level NOT SQL Server. The IP is either dynamically assigned or hard codes via the Network Connections area of the Admin tools.

Thanks

J. Kusch

Click Start -> Run
Type CMD
Click OK
Type: Ping MyServerComputerName

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

Start Run
cmd
ipconfig /all

That will give you all your IP info.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

Also, you need to be aware that IP address gets changed in two places: On the Network Connection properties and on the DNS/Domain Controller Server. You can't change it on a command shell prompt.

If SQL Server is on the DC, your task is a bit easier because you probably already have Admin access. If it is not, you'll need access to the DC that is controlling DNS. Make sure to reserve the new IP and keep it static. And make very sure to research DNS before doing this change (assuming you don't know much about DNS) or you'll completely kill any access to your SQL Server from the network and vice-versa.

Catadmin
-- Who had to learn networking before learning SQL. @=/

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"If a person is Microsoft Certified, does that mean that Microsoft pays the bills for the funny white jackets that tie in the back???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back