Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

find empty records with empty fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

mweier

Technical User
Nov 2, 2003
US
how do I do a search for all records containing nothing in a given field? I know that ! will find all duplicates; is there some sort of special character that will search for the attribute checked by isEmpty()?

-thanks

one of the ways would be making a calculated field (eg. MarkRecord) that will record 1 or 0 if the field in empty and then you do a search on field MarkRecord where it is 1 or 0.
MarkReocrd= Case(not isEmpty(searched_field),1,0)
here is a sample:

All the best!

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

Please ignore the simplistic nature of this response, but you mention a special character. The = sign placed in a field while in FIND mode will return all records with that particular field empty.
Luck.
stanl

....if the user has DB skills using "=" would work but....most people like to just click. When in find mode u can specify any condition...however, I think most users have issues with them
eg. find a range "..."
so, user has to type in [1/1/2002...2/2/2002] leaving a lot of room for errors...anyhow, depends on your desire.
All the best!

> need more info?

I'm fairly tolerant with idiots but there is a limt - if a user has trouble keying '=' he/she should not get access to the computer.
There is a minor(?) problem with '=' in numeric fields. '=' finds records wehere the field has not yet been intialised but doesn't find the ones with '0' in them.

Cheers,
Paul J.

"he/she should not get access to the computer."
LOL....what do u do if its your boss? :)
Just kidding....

> need more info?

thanks to all for your help - the = sign is exactly what I was looking for (incidently I had come to the conclusion o fmaking a calc field to check IsEmpty and did that before reading yer answers...

thanks again!

-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back