Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Find/change for 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

VineyardPress

Technical User
Aug 19, 2003
US
Has anyone heard of an extension or something for the find/change option in Quark 5.0. I have to pull in a lot of text files that have manual returns in them after every line. Since using quark 5.0 I can't put the return symbol into the find/change dialogue box to eliminate them.

it's because if you try to type RETURN in the dialog box it will start the search...

i'm not at my Quark machine now but it's either

\n (newline) or \r (return)
/n or /r

experiment - it will only take about a minute - you can find all sorts of discrete characters this way

Duncan

I'm feeling really simple-minded right now, but I can't get that to work. (I can feel myself shrinking)
I tried backwards & forwards slashes with the n and r, in caps and lower case. (Is it a PC thing? I'm on a Mac)
I had always been able to just highlight the return while viewing it in invisibles and then pasting it into the "find" space.

I also use a Mac - I could be talkin rubbish as I have only used up to version 4 - but trust me it does work!

Sorry i'm not at my machine at the moment... keep trying it really is surprisingly straight forward I promise!

Duncan

You're right that it does work in Quark 4, but when I upgraded to 5.0 I couldn't do that anymore. (Which is really ticking me off, because it takes a lot longer to do it manually.)

Uh, the return character (in Quark 4, anyway) is represented in the find/change dialog box by \p.

You can also insert the return character by holding down the command key (or the control key if you're on a PC) and pressing the return key. Same deal for the line break (\n) and the tab (\t)

Well, the \p doesn't work in Quark 5.0 BUT yesterday afternoon our 6.0 versions came in and now I'm able to delete the manual returns with the find/change.
(I still would like to know if or how it could be done in 5.0, for the machines that can't upgrade to 6.)

Is it possible to copy/paste the hard return into the replace dialog box?

Quark 4 is definitely the following (I checked):-

\p - hard return
\n - newline (soft return)
\t - tab

Duncan

I appreciate all the suggestions, really I do, but the problem was never in 4.0 version, that works fine. It was in the upgrade to 5.0 that it didn't work. In version 6.0 it's back and working fine, but we will have some users here where I work that can't upgrade to 6 until they have a computer that can handle system OS X.

that's why I asked if it is possible to copy & paste the hard return into the dialog box...

Duncan

I should have specified earlier that I had tried the copy/paste, I'm sorry. (actually it's always the way that I have done it).
We pull in lots of text files that end up with symbols & such where some apostrophes and quotations, hyphens etc. should be. Copying the symbols is a lot easier than trying to find the keyboard equivalent.

In version 5, try copying one character before and after the return. paste into the find/change, then delete the two extra characters being careful not to delete the invisible middle characters. this is the way i do it in 5 because i have not yet received either of my two copies of 6(one for home, one for office... damn license).

B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back