Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Find and replace problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

leassaf

Instructor
May 20, 2001
IL
When using “find, replace” I'm trying to find single characters in a table but only those who are the only text in each cell (ex: “a” would find “a” but not “a.b”). the “Whole word” setting does not work in this case.

Ideas?

Where you have the single character fields, are you sure they are single character ie do they have a space before or after them. i only ask as the search for xlwhole should be the answer to the problem Rgds
~Geoff~

hello

select the range, go to Edit,replace , and check the "find entire cells only" option.

it works for me

xl2000

hth Best Regards
Andreas
using xl2000 on win2k

Guys, The question relates to word and not to excel. I should have mentioned it in the first place.

B.T.W. There wouldn't be any space before or after. As mentioned the table cells which should be searched are the ones containing a single character.

How about that?

Hi assafjak

I think you need to use the &quot;Use Wildcards&quot; option in the Word Find/Replace dialog box. Then use <A> as your find string. This means &quot;look for cases where A is both the beginning and end of a word&quot;. This works whether or not the As are in table cells.

There used to be a way of finding table cell breaks in Word 6, but I can't find a way of doing it in Word 97 or later.

HTH

Ben

[idea] Try:

Find: (spacebar)a(spacebar)
Replace with: (spacebar)___(spacebar) *Remember.......
If you don't use your head,
your going to have to use your feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back