Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filters in 5510/3510

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewaizel

ISP
Aug 30, 2006
CA
Hi everybody

I have 2 Internet links. A 3510 is the switch connected between my users and the routers connected to these links.
I'm looking for a way to route packets based on source IP. The goal is to send some traffic to one of the Internet providers and the rest to the other.

So far, after reading the manual, I did not find what I wanted. It is possible to create filters that classify traffic (for example by source IP) and take some action depending if there is a match. Nevertheless, the actions I found don't include sending the traffic to a specific next-hop-IP or interface (which exists in bigger Nortel switches and other vendors as well). I only found the option to re-mark the DSCP fields or drop the packet.

Any ideas or comments are welcome.

I might be proven wrong by later posts, but I'd doubt the 3500/5500 family can do anything by the most basic routing.
I can't think of an easy way to do what you're describing without more hardware - other than dividing your users into two subnets and then giving each subnet a different route to the Internet (plus a route to each other) - but depending on your environment that's probably easier said than done as well.

With version 5.0 of the code for the 55x0 there is an advanced routing license that costs more but includes VRRP and OSPF etc. You will be able to download the manuals and code if you bought the 55x0 prior to 1 July 2006, but you still need to buy the extra license if you need that functionallity.

Check the routing guide in 5.0 as it may do enough for you anyway.

Rgds

I found the way to make it work under ver 4.x.
Is is about using filters in the right way.
Here are the related commands:

qos if-action-extension 2 name Redir egress-ucast 45 egress-non-ucast 45
qos action 11 name ActRedir drop-action disable action-ext 2
qos ip-element 1 src-ip 192.168.15.2/32
qos classifier 1 set-id 1 name MatchVPNSrcIP element-type ip element-id 1
qos policy 1 name PolRedir if-group allBayStackIfcs clfr-type classifier clfr-id 1 in-profile-action 11 precedence 5

Hope this helps....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back