Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filtering with nulls 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WelshyWizard

IS-IT--Management
Apr 23, 2006
GB
Hi all,

I'm trying to run a filter upon some information shown to the user on a windows form using the following code:

Code:
DataView1.RowFilter = "Title Like '*" & TextBox3.Text & "*' OR Solution Like '*" & TextBox4.Text & "*'"

Each textbox has a default value of *. This is so that if one of the textboxes is not filled in, the filter will still show all records that match the textbox that is fillled in (leaving it blank would not do this). However, this plan backfires because all records with a <NULL> value are filtered out if there is a * in the textbox.

How can I adjust my code to include NULLS if a textbox is not filled in?

Cheers

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday - and all is well.....

Hi,

this is not the most elegant solution, but it should work like a charm:

Code:
dim str as string

if textbox3.text.trim.length <> 0 AndAlso textbox4.text.trim.legnth <> 0 then
  str = "Title Like '*" & TextBox3.Text & "*' OR Solution Like '*" & TextBox4.Text & "*'"
elseif textbox3.text.length <> 0 then
  str = "Title Like '*" & TextBox3.Text & "*'"
elseif textbox4.text.length <> 0 then
  str = "Solution Like '*" & TextBox4.Text & "*'"
end if

DataView1.RowFilter = str

Good morning-

This should create the filter you need:

Code:
DataView1.rowFilter = String.Format("{0}{1}{2}", _
    IIf("".Equals(TextBox3.Text), "", String.Format("Title Like '*{0}*'", TextBox3.Text)), _
    IIf("".Equals(TextBox3.Text) Or "".Equals(TextBox4.Text), "", " Or "), _
    IIf("".Equals(TextBox4.Text), "", String.Format("Solution Like '*{0}*'", TextBox4.Text)))

Hope this helps!

--Rob

Thanks guys,

Any ideas why my code does not work the way it is?

The problem is that when you filter using "like" or "IN" or equalities, NULLs aren't included. NULL is a special case in databases; in fact, NULL = NULL does not evaluate to true. When working with NULLs, you have to either specifically include them using the "IS NULL" phrase, or exclude the condition from the filter completely. Both Mastakilla and I chose the latter.

Hope this helps!

--Rob

I see,

So how would I go about including them using ISNULL?

dataview.rowfilter = "YourField Is Null"

You can check the help file (visual studio documentation) about datacolumn expression syntax:

if you're using vs2005, open the documentation and type this url:

ms-help://MS.VSCC.v80/MS.MSDN.v80/MS.NETDEVFX.v20.en/cpref4/html/P_System_Data_DataColumn_Expression.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back