Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filtering records in large tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

timbar

Technical User
May 15, 2003
US
I have a large table of x,y,z coordinate values. The table contains over a million records.

Is there a convenient way to select and retain only a certain, lesser number of records using a query?

I'd like to select, say, every fourth record and retain that record, and discard the others, creating a new table in the process. In general, I'd like to be able specify the frequency of the records retained (say every tenth, instead of every fourth record). Do I need to write code to allow this generalization, or can I control the record-retention frequency in a query?

Thanks for your feedback.

Tim Barbour
timbar@att.net

If it's a one-time shot, and you want to 'thin the herd' you could do some thing like:

Say you have a sequetial ID, such as autonumber, we'll call it RecID:

Delete From TheTable Where (RecID Mod 4) = 0;

Change the 4 to different number based on how thin you want to go.
--jsteph

Thanks for your input.

I understand the logic of your recommendation, but am not sure about how to implement it.

I have a table (named Thin) with an autonumber field named ID. The other three fields are x, y, and z coordinate value numbers. There are over a million records in the table.

Should I create a select query which operates on the table (Thin) and enter the "Delete from Thin where (ID mod 4) = 0" syntax? If so, am I using the right syntax, and in what field do I enter this criterion?

Or, am I approaching this incorrectly. I'm sure the answer is simple. I just haven't used this type of criterion before.

Thanks for you feedback.

Tim Barbour
timbar@att.net

I've figured out that I should be using a &quot;delete query&quot; and I see how the from and where grid cells works. I can delete records, for example, with an ID number of less than 10, for example by using a criterion <10 under the where field.

I can't get the Mod function to work in criterion field (under where), however. I'm using (id mod 4) = 0 and getting a data mismatch error.

I have the from (table) where (ID) working OK. But the criterion under the where field (id mod 4) = 0 isn't right.

Thanks for your advise on this.

Tim Barbour
timbar@att.net

timbar,
You need to put the 'mod' thing into a 'field' row of a blank column:
Expr1: [ID] mod 4

...then in the criteria of that new column, put 0
--jsteph

That did the trick.

Thanks for your help. It's just what I needed.

Tim Barbour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back