Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filtering Mainform and Subform by Subform--Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmpark

Technical User
Nov 15, 2002
US
Forgive me- I've posted this in the other Access forums but can't seem to get much response so I'm trying to reach a greater audience. Please help me if you can.

I have a database with one main table (tblPROJECT) left outer joined to 5 child tables by PROJpkey. The main form's control source is tblPROJECT and then there are 5 separate subforms for each of the 5 child tables one of which being tblPROPERTY/frmPROPERTY.

While looking at the main form and one subform, I'd like to be able to filter either of the forms. Currently I can filter the main form just fine but if I go in and filter the subform I end up with all of the main records but only the filtered subform records visible. I have to scroll through all of the main records to see the results of the subform filter.

Is there a simple way to set it up so that the main record is filtered by the subform filter results too. I tried to change the join to 1:1 but didn't seem to see any difference.

Thanks for any recomendations you may have.

Trent

There's at least five ways of filtering your data on forms (via any possible control, that means also by subform of any kind), but your problem isn't in fact that noone doesn't know or wouldn't like to help, YOUR problem is that noone seem to know what do you realy want. So, narrow your problem - be more exact, leave out names of your forms or table column names (and relationships), and try to put exact simple question. That will help and will help fast. :)

Thanks Alfalf.

I have a form with a subform. I'd like users to be able to filter subform records (and their corresponding mainform records) by using the "filter by form" tool. When I try this it filters the subform records but not the parent (mainform) records. Is there something that I might be missing?

Thank you.

I'm encountering this problem as well (though I have a simpler situation with only one subform in my main form). Would a possible solution be some code that hides all main form records that have an empty subform - can't think how to do this at the moment but if anyone has any ideas?

(I've been toying with using a completely new form for filter by form searches, using a query that has all the records from both tables as its basis. Not particularly elegant!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back