Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filtering mail by client location

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatmosh

Programmer
Jun 6, 2004
US
I'm wondering if there is a way to filter the mail a user can see based on their currently logged in location. For example,

Say I am VP of Sales and VP of Finance. So I get a lot of company sensitive financial e-mails. While I'm viewing e-mail at headquarters, I want to be able to see all of my e-mail.

However, when I'm roaming out to the remote sites, I don't want my sensitive financial e-mails to be brought to my inbox to prevent data leakage, just my sales e-mails.

Is there a way to filter which e-mails can be accessed at a certain location by content?

Ideally, this would run on the server side and I could write a rule essentially blocking e-mail with certain words and phrases from being delivered to the Inbox of a client logging onto a computer in a certain OU.

If that's not possible, perhaps an Outlook function (or add-on) could be used to prevent these e-mails from being opened.

Does anyone know of any feature in Exchange/Outlook/Outlook Plug-in that could enable this?

Thanks for any help!

Umm...all of the emails would remain in the Inbox for the users which will be located on the server, not on a remote computer.

Now of course if you're using PST's, which you shouldn't be, then sure...you have an issue. But in this day and age surely everyone has stopped such a terrible practice...right?

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

There are no more PDC's! There are DC's with FSMO roles!

Yes, all of the e-mails would remain on the server. No, we do not use PSTs.

I'm looking for a way to dynamically filter which of the e-mails currently residing in a user's Inbox (or any other folder) they are able to see, based on what computer they are logged onto.

You'll have to use the Filter View in Outlook to achieve that.

Sorry...meant you'll have to filer the View within the Outlook client...View - Current View - Customize...

Okay, so say I can create Views that allow the user to see only what they are allowed to see based on content.

How do I stop them from still seeing their Inbox? Can I disallow a user from seeing their own Inbox?

I'm failing to understand why you would want to prevent a user, who is allowed to see all of their emails that they receive, from seeing emails that they've received. Don't they bear a certain amount of responsibility to make sure that nobody is looking over their shoulders as they view their Inbox?

I don't understand the "why's" of what you're trying to do, so it makes me suspicious of your motives.

Because of the nature of my work, I have to generalize what I'm trying to do. Let's just say it's government-related. And the government doesn't want certain things to be viewable in certain places, no matter what the user wants.

However, there are lots of potential applications of this. The first that comes to mind is HIPAA regulations on the confidentiality of patient records. There are lots of times in which people don't trust their users to not do something stupid, so they take the opportunity away from them. It may be perfectly okay for a doctor to pull up your patient records in the office, but might not be okay for him to do so when he is at home or on vacation, for example.

But back to the point, my goal is to filter what a user can see programmatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back