Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filtering-find tasks that include a particular resource in subtasks? MicrosoftProject 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrubGillian

Technical User
Oct 28, 2014
SE
Hello everyone,

I work on a project on MicrosoftProject 2010. I met a problem when I would use the filter. I will try to explain:

My project is built as below:

Task A
sub task A/resource Bert
sub task A/resource ERNIE
sub task A/resource Ralph
Task B
sub Task B/resources ERNIE
Sub task B/resource Ralph
Task C
Sub Task C/resource Bert
Sub Task C/resource Ralph

I want to present to Ernie all the projects he's involved in, showing all the sub tasks. In this case it would be Task A and all three sub tasks, and Task B and both sub tasks. Task C and its sub tasks would be filtered out since Ernie is not involved at all.

I tried all the options that I am able to do so I really need an help. I would precise that I've a lot of tasks and sub tasks in the project and it would be unthinkable to do by hand each time I've to present the project to one of my coworker.

Thanks a lot

Have you considered exporting to Excel, where Filtering is well supported? If it can't be done in Project, that might be an option.

==================================
adaptive uber info galaxies (bigger, better, faster than agile big data clouds)

Hi Johnherman, thank you for your answer.

I would like to keep the Project presentation and all the link of the planification therefore if I can do this on Project it would be better.

GrubGillian

I'm afraid a filter won't do - it will only show the tasks Ernie is assigned to, not the tasks with Bert and Ralph assigned. So exporting to Excel won't help either.

The best I can suggest is to manually set Flags or write some VBA code to loop through all tasks and copy all resource's assigned in each subtask to a spare text field. Use that for filtering - but short of other intervention, filtering will not work.

The VBA code was something I had thought of, but (for me), that's always a last resort. I still think Excel will work, but it may require a macro. So, coding in either case. If you would, please post your course of action and solution.

==================================
adaptive uber info galaxies (bigger, better, faster than agile big data clouds)

Hi,

Using a code in Microsoft Project seems to be a good idea if it lead in a good filtering. Unfortunately I've some difficulties for coding but I can understand it. It just lack me the framework and i'll try the rest. Does somebody can help me?

To explain, I prefer use a code rather than export in Excel because I would like everybody can use my project and filter in order to see their own planning without needed my help.

Thank you for your help.
Grub'

Thank you for your advice,

I'll try to post in the forum you propose. If somebody know how to help me in this website, please do not hesitate to answer me !

Grub'

The problem has been solved. I let the link above if someone is interesting.

Thank you for your help.

Grub'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back