Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filtering email attachments??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreux

IS-IT--Management
Dec 29, 2000
US
Hey all...is there an easy way of filtering attachments in Exchange 5.5. I'm talking about the times when we hear about a new virus, know the file name, but haven't gotten an update for Symantec, because they're still working on it! I want to be able to just filter anything that comes through (i.e. nakedwife.exe). There have been a few times now where syamntec has kept us waiting for the updates (I use corporate edition antivirus). I know there are some filtering utilities out there, but they also cost thousands of dollars!
Thanks, DReux

If you use Norton on your Exchange server there is a reg hack you can use to specify that no exe files are allowed through...

And vbs, fla etc.

I use corporate and I have not been kept waiting - I was covered for nakedwife over 6 hours ago when I first got to the office in London!

That's great! I do use Exchange edition as well as corporate...do you have any info on the hack?
Thanks a million, Dreux

Join the Symantec: Norton AntiVirus forum in the MIS/IT container of Tek-Tips as I am hoping to get the same information!!!

If your firewall supports it, you can usually filter out "harmfull" attachments there instead. I've finally had to allow no inbound executables as attachments due to users always clicking on an attachment regardless where it comes from.

I've posted a question on the symantec board, although it appears that it doesn't get much action. Personally, I'm having the hardest time trying to get my users to understand that most viruses are sent to you from people you know through a worm. Be careful telling them not to open foreign stuff, because I've had viruses spread through people saying that they knew the sender.
Thanks for the help, Dreux

I have come across a couple of mail relay servers that can be coupled with MS-Exchange to do email filtering.

For example, using netMailshar ( you can specify rules for email filtering. You actually need to configure a POP account in netMailshar and configure Exchange to retrieve mail from netMailshar.

Hope this helps.

Bill.

Another right cool solution from Symantec, they make an Internet Gateway product (part of the Enterprise solution). Mail is Mx to it, Norton scan for virus. It included a cool web based interface to allow the removal of file extension you choose, no registry hacks.

Then you mail is passed to the mail server. I understand their Firewall anti-virus solution will do it also, but not as cleanly as the Internet Gateway product. Wait for the next release of the Firewall AV.

Cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back