Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filter results by max value in one field

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokengod

Programmer
Nov 8, 2002
AU
Hey guys and gals,

I have been trundling along for a few years, getting around the need to create complex queries by relying on php to provide the logic, but now I can't find a simple solution and wish I had been more creative with mySQL in the past.

I need to request data in a 2 table join.

A.userID | B.source | B.dest| B.level | B.type

And what I want to do is get records where B.type is the maximum out of the records that the query pulls in.

EG> There might be 3 records for a given user, with the same dest, source and type, but the levels are 1, 2 & 3 respectively. How do I limit the record to the row with the highest level without knowing what value it might be?

A.userID | B.source | B.dest | B.level | B.type
-------------------------------------------------
1 UK US 2 mail
1 UK US 1 mail
1 UK US 3* mail

* I only want this record but I don't knwo in advance whether level will be 1, 3 or 5 (or 0)

I ultimately want to stuff this idea into a crosstab, but if I can figure out a way to do the above I will be happy for now.

Thanks in advance,

Brokengod

What is the structure of your tables?

-----
ALTER world DROP injustice, ADD peace;

SELECT A.userID, B.source, B.dest, B.level, B.type FROM table1 A, table2 B where A.someitem=B.someitem order by B.dest limit 1;

Table 1 - users

Fields: id , surname, givenname, ph, fax, email etc

Table 2 - skills

Fields - id, memberID, source, dest, level, type

where memberID is the key to table 1

i should also mention that each userID might be associated with different combinations of source and dest:

eg
A.userID | B.source | B.dest | B.level | B.type
-------------------------------------------------
1 UK US 2 mail
1 UK US 1 mail
1 UK US 3* mail
1 UK AUS 1 mail
1 UK AUS 3* mail
1 AUS US 3* mail
1 UK CHN 3* mail

* These are the desired records because for each combination of source and dest for each user, they are the max levels...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back