Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filter for whole Network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

samirsuri

Technical User
Dec 23, 2002
IN
hi ,
I want to create a filter for whole network 172.28.0.0
can anybody please help me in configuring this in Sniffer pro 4.5 .
Thanks
Sameer

Hi

you must use the fiters by data pattern. You can specify the data in binary format with 16 bits of length in these case, and you must put the offset from protocol to 80 hex (for destination address).

In order to do a more complex filter (source and destination) you must use more than one pattern.

Jose Antonio

Thanks a lot jhuerta ,
I will try that but is it be possible for you to send me a screen shot or do you have some sites which provide such tips on sniffer

I have some info at Laura Chappell, the grand Diva of packets can be found at She has a great book on just filtering, "Catching the Cool Packets".

MikeS

Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

I always catch on faster if someone shows me how to do something, so here is a video of how to create the filter you are looking for.

If you want to do a different subnet, change the data in data pattern of the filter. Let me know if it helps. I am more than happy to create more videos to show how to do things in Sniffer.

Here is the link to the video:

Best regards,
mpennac

I will try this out today and thank you all for giving support so fast .

Thanks mpennac,Mike , Jose for the help . it finally worked with the following settings for the network 172.18.22.0
In edit pattern
From - Protocol
Format - Binary
offset - 80
len - 24
0 1 2 3
0 10101100 00010010 00010110

Name - Src Subnet 172.18.22

Hi samirsuri

Be careful with the offset.

If you use 80 Hex from Protocol, the filter is for the destination address.

If you need to capture from the source address, you must use a offset of 60 Hex.

Jose Antonio

Thanks Jose ,
I was trying to figure out how to filter for source address and you gave me the tip at the right time .
Thanks
Sameer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back