Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filter challenged: Not working as I expected 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcmatt

Technical User
Apr 13, 2007
US
Hello,
I now have a company Blackberry which is synced to our GroupWise mail system. I'm now attempting to use filters to avoid my Blackberry getting every message in the universe. I have 3 rules and they are (in order as you bring up the RULES dialog in GW):

1) IBM_Essential
When Event is "NEW ITEM" and ITEMS ARE RECEIVED
CONDITIONS: Act on items where (ITEM TYPE is MAIL)and
FROM contains "@us.ibm.com"
Then actions are: MOVE TO FOLDER:IBM
STOP RULE PROCESSING

2) TMS_DAILY
SUBJECT contains "FWD:TSM BACKUP DAILY STATUS"
and FROM contains "TMS DAILY REPORT
Then actions are: MOVE TO FOLDER:TMS DAILY
STOP RULE PROCESSING

3) all_filter
CONDITIONS: Act on items where (ITEM TYPE is MAIL or)
TASK or REMINDER NOTE and
TO contains "mgilliam@wmata.com"
Then actions are: MOVE TO FOLDER:all_in
STOP RULE PROCESSING

4) ESSENTIAL
FROM does not contain "@"
Then actions are: MOVE TO FOLDER:MAILBOX

Those are my 4 rules in order. What I'm trying to achieve:
1) All mail from anyone@us.ibm.com goes to IBM folder
2) All mail with Subject="FWD:TSM DAILY BACKUP STATUS" and FROM="TMS DAILY REPORT" goes to TMS folder
3) All mail not fitting the above (in other words...junk & stuff) goes to folder all_in
4) All mail originating in my company then goes to "MAILBOX"

Rules 1-3 appear to be working. However...and this is a good example...after registering for this site, I received the Welcome to TekTips Forum email with a FROM of "Tek-Tips Forums <welcome@tek-tips.com>". This email went to my "MAILBOX". By the rules I have, the desire was for this email to go to the "all_in" folder (processed by Rule #4).

Can someone clue me in as to why this mail went to MAILBOX as opposed to "all_in".

Thanks for the help

Could it be the 'TO contains "mgilliam@wmata.com' condition? I've had to use my first & last name (display name) in rules (even though Tek-Tips or whomever only knows my email address).

Teresa

I'm clueless....but rule #4 did not test "TO"; it only said that if "FROM" does NOT contain '@'. As it stands now, the all_in folder is always empty.

...And I mistyped.....rules 1,2 & 4 appear to be working; it's rule # 3 that seems to not be processing...email that contains "myemail@wmata.com" is going to MAILBOX as opposed to going to the all_in folder.

I was referring to rule #3 when I said "Could it be the 'TO contains "(yourname)@wmata.com' condition?" I was considering your comment that the Tek-Tips email didn't go into the "all_in" folder. Perhaps GroupWise doesn't see mail coming from Tek-Tips as having a "To" of (yourname)@wmata.com. But I may have been incorrect about that. What was the star for?

Teresa

teresas,
Perhaps true...but again...this morning as an example, this morning, the following email came to my "MAILBOX" with the following "FROM" information: "SearchServerVirtualization.com" <searchServerVirtualization@lists.techtarget.com>. The "TO" information was (myname)@wmata.com
. So this email met both tests of "FROM" as well as "TO" in Rule #3. And yet, it did go to "MAILBOX" as opposed to my "all_in" folder.

In any event, the filters are working "enough" that my Blackberry isn't getting overwhelmed...and I can live with that. (They're all working great today....LOL...BlackBerry is having a hemisphere-wide outage challenge so I'm getting no messages at all!)

Thanks for your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back