Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filling Text with Color

Status
Not open for further replies.

prefectgirl

Technical User
Mar 7, 2001
US
I have a project where I need to take some outlined blocks
of text and fill the text with color from the bottom to the top of the letters. It needs to specifically go from the bottom to the top so it looks like the color is being poured into the letters.

you could create the 'filling-up' effect by creating a tween of a block of colour, appearing through a mask created by text....

will repost soon

dave
ps: surely if you're creating an effect that the colour is being poured into the text it should fill from the bottom? dave@davdesign.co.uk

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would break up the text under the modify menu....I assume you have done that.

I would then create a mc with about 10 frames...each one showing the same letters only with a higher level of paint in it.

This could easily be done by making your stroke color the same color as your background so it would not show and then draw lines across the text horizontally.

this would alienate a specific fill area.

For example...frame 1 of your MC would have your text with a line draw horizontally about 2 px from the bottom edge of your text all the way across.

then select the paint bucket and your fill color. and fill up the little area in each letter that you alienated with your line.

select the next frame...hit F6 and repeat the process with a line a little higher this time...

do you catch the drift?

when you are finished filling each of your frames you can use the eraser to delete all your lines if you like

Dave, your idea sounds less time consuming, but could you explain how I would do that please?

Yeah, meeee to. There are some sweet .fla's at that you can download. You can probably find something close there. ;-)
That's a pretty cool site to check out anyways. Good luck prefectgirl! Hey.... any relation to a mr. ford prefect?
Holy tek-tips batman!:-0

doh!!! i read you're thread wrong perfect girl LOL just reverse the frames! ;-)
You can tweek the graphic to wavy and slushy

dave

ps: how perfect are you? dave@davdesign.co.uk

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Okay,
I have the block of color moving behind the outlined letters from the bottom up but the block is clearly visible when I run the movie. I guess I don't really understand the masking thing. When the block of color moves behind the letters, it should only be visible through the outlines of the letters. Instead, the block can be seen the whole time.
Sorry I'm so clueless.
And obviously I'm not prefect.

ok (trying to remember without opening the file)

I made the paint tween, simply with a block of colour that moveed over a number of frames to another position, placing it so that it filled the text from top to bottom (sorry bout that)

Then I made a new layer for the text ABOVE the first layer, typed in the text, selected it, and finally broke it up. This is your 'mask' layer. (meaning that anything below this will only show through the content on this layer). Right-click the layer and select 'mask'

There's your movie.
dave dave@davdesign.co.uk

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks Dave, I'll try it.
Could it be because I put the text layer in first?
Also, don't worry about the top to bottom, bottom to top stuff. That's the easy part :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back