Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fill MSSQL Table from DataSet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlager

Programmer
Sep 1, 2006
US
I've got an app where I want to pull data from a MySQL database into a DataSet, then take the data in the DataSet and insert its records into a SQL Server database table. What is the best way to accomplish this?

I have a similar problm.

I have a dataset populated from an excel file that I want to write to an Iseries table. The only way I have been able to find to do this is to read through the dataset, one record at a time and issue a single INSERT SQL statement for each record. This means if my Excel file contains 10,000 rows, I perform 10,000 individual INSERT statements within a loop. This is a slow process.

There has got to be a better way to do this. Can anybody help us out?

Dazed and confused.

Remember.. 'Depression is just anger without enthusiasum'.

...I guess I am looking for:-

INSERT INTO MyConnection1.MyTable(Field1, Field2)
SELECT MyDatasetTableA(FieldA, FieldB)

Can this be done in .Net?

Dazed and confused.

That's exactly what I ended up doing, and after I was finished, i thought to myself, this sucks! What a low tech solution. Like you said, there has to be a better way!

mlager: .Net has BulkCopy classes for SQL Server. This will give you performance similar to SSIS when you have a SQL Server destination and choose FastLoad. Read about it here:

Skittle, you might check to see if IBM has a similar set of classes to download. If not, also try declaring a transaction before your 10,000 insert statements, and committing afterward, to see if that speeds things up.

RiverGuy, thanks, two interesting leads.

I have just been trying an out of process AS400 data transfer option which is much quicker than loads of individual inserts but of course it relies on an external program running in a shell command.

Dazed and confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back