Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fill Down a Pattern 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsaliers

Programmer
Jan 23, 2003
US
Got a dumb question. I have a spreadsheet filled with data, and I have a column I need to fill down with three values.

I want to be able to fill down so that these three values repeat. However, when I fill down, I get:

There are so many cells to fill down, that I don't want to copy and paste. Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance!!

Jon

Highlight all three cells then fill down. Think that should work

dyarwood,

That is exactly what Jon has been doing.

Jon,

Highlight the three cells, and copy them. Then highlight the cells you want to "fill" and then paste.

TIP: Use Ctrl+C to Copy and Ctrl+V to Paste. :)

[santa] Happy Ho Ho!!! [Cheers]

Mike

Didn't get the answers that you wanted? Take a look at FAQ219-2884

Thank you much. Works wonderful!

Happy Holidays!!

Jon

Glad I could help! :)

BTW, If you are using Office XP, then you can highlight the three cells and autofill as normal. Then you will see the Hot Tips at the bottom of the cells. Click on the Hot Tip and select Copy Cells.

This does exactly the same as what I explained in my first post.

I hope this helps!

[santa] Happy Ho Ho!!! [Cheers]

Mike

Didn't get the answers that you wanted? Take a look at FAQ219-2884

That was the reason I thought it worked. Use office XP. Didnt know it didnt work on earlier versions.

You can also highlite the 3 cells then hold the ctrl key down while filling down, no need to cut and paste.

You can also do this in xl2k (and maybe in 97) by using the right mouse button to dragdown then select "Copy Cells" from the menu.
;-)

If a man says something and there are no women there to hear him, is he still wrong? [ponder]
The faqs ma'am, just the faqs. Get the best from these forums : faq222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back