Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fill cr from array

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElvisUntot

Programmer
Jan 8, 2002
DE
i need to fill an cr from an array instead from an database.

any tips how to do that?

Please explain what you mean by "fill". Give specific examples of your existing database and desired output.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports
askdon@srhconsulting.com

erm. ok. perhaps i schould not write while still half asleep. sorry about that.

i have an application written in visual basic 6.0
in there i have some data stored inside an array.
those need to be displayed in an cr v10

i hope that tells better what i want.

Are you not looking at ANY database at all? You just want to recreate the array in Crystal?

Once you recreate the array, what are you going to do with it?

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports
askdon@srhconsulting.com

1. i am not looking at any database in that moment.

2. i want to fill the report with it? (sorry, but i think i do not understand your question correctly)

I do not think you want to use crystal to do this. How big is your array? To do what you are talking about would require the following:

Create a formula and place it in the report header:

WhilePrintingRecords;
StringVar Array MyString:=["ABC","XYZ",123"....."LAST Array Element"]

Then create as many detail sections as needed (as many as there are elements in your array) and create a single formula for each one of these sections as follows:

MyString[1]
MyString[2]
MyString[last element #]

Not very pretty but it will work.

If it were me I would build the database with Access or SQL and let crystal just report on data, which is what Crystal is best at.

askdon@srhconsulting.com

If you put the contents of your array into an ADO recordset, you could send the recordset report as a report's data source.

-dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back