Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filesize of Front-end Database 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaOtH

Technical User
Jan 22, 2002
SE
All,

I have a standard front-end/back-end application set up

*Backend
- contains all tables, nothing else.
- Currently the backend is about 2mb

*Front-end
- contains only linked tables
(well, except 1 small table needed for initialisation)
- No queries
- 45 forms
- 3 reports
- 10 Modules
Total amount of lines of code in all modules and forms is about 6000 lines.
- except 1 small bmp, no images
- The front-end is about 5,5mb

Question : Is this a reasonable size ?
Personally i would expect the size of the front-end to be quite a lot smaller. Even when i create an .mde of it it only decreases to 4,5mb

Or is it just me thinking the wrong thing and this being just a nice and reasonable size for it.

(The database itself is quite small, but the different features aren't. It is an application to register sales etc for a small, closed, organisation. And that has more to do with features than storing data)

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."
- Robert Frost 1874-1963

Here's my 2p worth.

I'd say that 5.5Mb isn't that big for a front end db. You've got alot of forms in the db, and the code, and objects takes up a lot of room. I've had plenty of front ends about that size - with less forms too!

As long as it doesn't change size, apart from fractionally when you do development, then you should be fine.

The back end is the one you want to worry about - 2Mb is small for a back end, but I presume you don't have much data.

I think the reason the mde is slightly smaller is because it pre-compiles all the code etc, which makes it a more compact db. I would expect the mdb front end to have more overheads, because things have to be compiled on runtime. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!

All in all, I'd say you've nothing to worry about!

HTH
Mincefish

Thnxs for that,

The back-end is, and will remain fairly small anyway.
It is just a very small amount of data that needs to be stored.

it is all about the front-end, having all it's features.
Maybe it would have been better to use a different program for this but for the moment this was the best & most convenient choice.

- Robert Frost 1874-1963

Do compact and repair to get it as small as it can be, if you are concerned. Have to open back end and do compact and repair on it as well.

Time flies when you don't know what you're doing...

Red54,

Sizes are, as said, compacted... still i quess expected them to be smaller. Wanted to know what i could do to limit the size..

Front & Backend compact themselves once a week anyways

- Robert Frost 1874-1963

The values you give are quite reasonable for Access. On the whole it's pretty crap for providing a small foot print application.

If you want to reduce the size remove anything that is not used, this includes code from modules, comments and references etc.

Stella

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

throw in another 2 cents....

the file sizes are pretty small for Access. I have seen much larger in use.

however, one thing that always helps reduce the size of the mde file is to run a DeCompile then compact/repair. The decompile will strip out useless code and stuff that might be lurking around. i think you will actually see your mde get larger the more it is used. the decompile will shrink it back down.

here is a helpful website that explains more:

Have A Great Day!!!, [bigglasses]

Nathan
Project Manager III

Thats nice,

Decompile actually took about 40% off the size of the front-end, let's start with giving you a colourful star for that...

- Robert Frost 1874-1963

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back